Sunday, February 20, 2011

I'm Special... So Special...

Did you start singing that 80's song by the Pretenders? "I'm special... so special... I gotta have some of your attention..." Yeah, I admit, I did. I'm somewhat of an 80's music addict. In fact, I've got the video running on YouTube right now!

Every once in a while, when I'm out with a family for a shoot, I'll see a bajillion other photographers out and about. Most of them are other 30-something women, who presumably received a dSLR from their husband and decided (hopefully after lots of practice) that they wanted to turn photography into more than a hobby. Humph. Sounds familiar. Suddenly, I feel a little less "special"!

So it gets me thinking, "What makes me unique as a photographer?"

Let's be honest. 99.9% of the people who contact me are females, usually between the ages of 25-40. Mothers, girlfriends, fiancees and grandmothers who are looking for family photos to cherish forever. Guys aren't often too excited about the whole "photo" thing. Don't get me wrong - there are many guys who are totally photogenic and are totally into it! But for the most part, not so much. Women are just naturally (usually) more comfortable in front of the camera!

But after all is said and done, I get emails with notes like, "My husband usually hates photos, but he keeps saying what a great time he had!" There was the family who almost cancelled their session because the father wasn't quite in the mood to be in front of the camera... but by the end of the session, we were all talking up a storm and still keep in touch!

For some reason, I'm able to make people feel comfortable in front of the camera, and that couldn't be more of an honor to me! When I edit photos after shoots and realize that I captured that sweet moment between father and child or the daughter that hugged her brother without prompting, I feel such gratitude that I'm able to meet so many amazing people and witness the love they have for each other. (On a side note, I think I've yet to edit a photo of father & child without shedding a tear!)

Thank you so much to those of you that have allowed me the honor to photograph your families! Each of you have taught me some great things about love and what it means to be a family - no matter how big or small!

No comments:

Post a Comment